Make a Period Kit For Your Daughter!

 



One of my daughters passed this milestone earlier this year (2012) (quite later than expected) and so when we were out buying pads I was looking down the aisle at all sorts of things that would make this experience more comfortable for her.

I thought I would compile a list of things that I had gotten (or wished I had gotten or provided) for that first time, as well as to keep on  hand for good feminine hygiene.
  • Menstrual calendar (if your daughter has a smartphone, there are also some good apps out there for tracking periods as well)
  • Fabric Bag for storing period supplies ( a nice color/design that fits your daughter)
  • Period travel/emergency mini bag (small bag that can fit in the purse to hold pads, etc)
  • Pads (heavy duty and regular)
  • Pantyliners
  • Flushable wipes
  • Teen vitamins
  • Extra set of underwear to wear during period
  • Disposable bags for pads
  • Heating pad for cramps - my daughters' love these disposable ones
  • Menstrual medicine for cramps, bloating or good old advil/tylenol
  • Hand wipes
  • Period answer book (purchase or make your own; for Muslim girls, can include Islamic books/ahadith on the topic as well as general hygiene information )
A good idea would be to have a kit already prepared before the start of the first period and to always keep these supplies on hand afterward.

Alhamdulillah, I have talked to my older daughters to various extents about getting their periods, so I hope that it will not be traumatic for them.  I hope to be prepared beforehand, (as I wasn't this time).

Teaching Your Daughter About Her Period in Light of Islam


To help teach your daughter about her period as regards to ibaadah, an excellent book is Natural Blood of Women, by Shaykh Muhammad bin Salih Al-Utheimeen.