The Islamic Greeting

When you are greeted with a greeting,
 greet in return with what is better than it,
or (at least) return it equally.
Certainly, Allah is ever a careful account taker of all things
(4:86)


Resources to teach kids about the Islamic Greeting

Lessons

Islamic Greeting Lessons (PDF)

These are a set of lessons I made for my kids years ago. One thing that I really love about the lessons is that I was able to include ayaat from the Quraan or ahadith to support the various topics in the lesson so I think you will find it very helpful from that aspect. It says it is for Grade 1, but I think it is helpful for higher elementary grades as well. In addition, you can take the ahadith and ayaat and use them for older students such as middle and high schoolers, in shaa Allah.
  • Lesson 1: What Does Greeting Mean? 
  • Lesson 2: How the Islamic Greeting began. 
    • Activity 1: Read about/Listen to How the Greeting Begin.
  • Lesson 3: The Islamic Greeting
  • Lesson 3a: What is the Islamic greeting?
    • Activity 1: Saying As-salaamu Alaykum
  • Lesson 3b: Do I have to greet another Muslim?
  • Lesson 3c: How to return the greeting. 
  • Lesson 3d: What if I don’t return the greeting?
  • Lesson 3e: Do I have to greet someone I don’t even know? 
  • Lesson 4: Greeting First 
  • Lesson 4a. Why is it Important to Greet First?
  • Lesson 4b: Who exactly should greet whom first?
    • Activity 1: Practice Greeting First
  • Lesson 5: Greetings Around the World
    • Activity 5a. Words and Ways of Greeting around the World
    • Activity 5b. Ways to Greet Around the World
    • Activity 5c. Geography and Greetings
  • Conclusion/Extras18
  • Poem about the Greeting

Other Learning Aids

If you know me, I like checklists. This is a checklist I made up to help me keep track of what my kids had mastered as far as learning the Islamic greeting. It is a great review tool as well, in shaa Allah.

 Islamic Greeting Skills Review Checklist

Islamic Greeting Skills Checklist

Related

14 Occasions in which extending the greeting is disliked -  Shaykh Saalih ibn Fawzaan al Fawzaan


The Meaning of As-Salaamu Alaykum

Giving Salaams to the Opposite Sex - By Shaykh Muqbil



Original Post Date: 11/2/2015